All your tomatoes coming in at once? I’ve been spending the past week creating tomato foods for the massive amount we’ve got. Of course, I’ve been sharing with friends and I hope they like my creations. Today I will share with you my memory of mom’s tomato salad. Oh so good! This is a great salad for preparing the day before you plan to serve. Try it and let us know what you think!
- 3 Pounds of Ripe Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 Cups Onions, cut in half, sliced thin and slices separated into pieces
- 1 packed Tablespoon plus 1 packed Teaspoon Fresh Sweet Basil coarsely large chopped (or 1-1/3 teaspoons dried). This really is best with fresh basil.
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Best to use a mixing bowl that has a tight lid, like Rubbermaid, Tupperware, or similar
- Combine all ingredients and gently hand fold
- Place cover on mixing bowl and gently turn over a few times to finish distribution of ingredients
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours for marination and chilling (preparing day before is best!)
Immediately before serving (chilled) give the bowl a couple of turns to distribute the juices.
Be sure to include some of the wonderful liquid in each serving.
Serve with thick pieces of Italian or French bread on the side for dipping in the wonderful juice. You do not want to miss this tasty bonus!
Yields about 6 cups. Six servings as a side salad. Around here it’s a lunch for 3 (as 2-cup servings). You be the judge!
If you like what you see on The Tentacle, click Like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Parler. Remember to always share what you read. We can’t grow and continue to bring you community created information without your participation.