- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast, cubed
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Medium sized Onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken Base (paste-type) or Bouillon
- 3 Cups Water
- ½ Teaspoon Thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch (amount may vary)
- 1 16 oz bag of Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Pie Dough, pre-packaged roll-out type (has two crusts)
On the stove burner, in a cast iron dutch oven or deep cooking pan that can be transferred to the oven:
- Brown the cubed chicken breast in butter and onion
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl
- Add to emptied pan: chicken base, water, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper
- Mix and bring to a boil, then lower to a slow boil (needs to be bubbling)
- Mix corn starch in 3 Tablespoons hot water (enough water to make a just-liquid mix) and add to pan
- Whisk gravy continuously until thickened (this happens quickly)
- (If gravy is too thick, whisk in a little water. If too thin, mix a little corn starch in water and whisk in.)
- Add chicken and mixed frozen vegetables
- Cook on medium 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from stove burner
- Top the pan with pie dough. You may need to use both sheets of dough to fit.
Bake 400° 30-40 min or until dough is brown. Keep an eye on the dough not to burn.
Remove from oven. Let stand 20 minutes and serve or let cool and refrigerate for later. Enjoy!
Another great Grace Hallenbeck recipe that might go well with this dish can be found here.
If you like what you see on The Tentacle, click Like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Parler. Remember to always share what you read. We can’t grow and continue to bring you community created information without your participation.