Ok! Here’s a traditional breakfast item I grew up with from my Naples, Italy-raised mom, so go out to your chicken coop and gather eggs for this two-person meal. Or hit up your refrigerator stash. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!
Millie’s Eggs Napolitano
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ounce can of diced or peeled tomatoes
- (You can use leftover tomato sauce if you have it, but this recipe uses a traditional fresh marinara sauce instead of a hearty tomato sauce)
- 3 fresh basil leaves, or half a teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- Sliced Italian bread or baguette
- In a medium sized sauce pan on medium heat, add olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes, including juice in the can. If using whole peeled tomatoes, break them up into pieces.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add salt to taste. Stir.
- Add basil. Stir.
- Push aside sauce in areas and crack one egg into each “hole.”
- Cover and simmer until eggs are done with runny yolks. (Or you can keep uncovered and flip the eggs very carefully.)
- Spoon the mixture on top of bread and serve.